Relax in our Castleton countryside retreat or escape to our Scarborough Seaside sanctuary: ideal for short breaks or week away.
Castleton Sun Set
Castleton Sun Set
Where To Find Us
About Haddock Hideaway
We’re not quite sure how long the building has stood on this site as its history is shrouded in mystery and has mutated over the generations. However, we thought you might like to hear it’s, and our, story.
The Earliest Records
There have been buildings on the site of the main Hall (of which we are part of) since the Domesday Book, C12. All the land on and around the site was owned by the Ashton’s, an influential family in the area who owned a substantial amount of land bought cheaply during the Civil War. At this time the road outside was known as the Slippery Stones.
In 1721 Castleton Hall was in the ownership of a Mr. Potts but the land on which the Old Coach House is built was owned by a Mr. William Archer.
An 1819 map and survey illustrate the building’s very humble beginnings. We were formed from two separate buildings; 63 were known as Barn and Yard and 64 was listed as cow house and garden. These properties can clearly be seen on the 1841Tithe map, left. All these properties were in different ownership, however, this was not destined to remain true for long as Micah Hall had bought Castleton Hall in 1754 and was building up wealth and accruing property in the area. Eventually the whole site was bought up by the Hall family and was in the same ownership as the Castleton Hall. It remained as one, in the Hall family till 1919.
1919 – A Change of Ownership
In 1919 the whole site was bought by Mr. John Arthur Sellars, a magistrate, for £1620. It became very grand to reflect the status of the family who lived in the main hall. However, it’s worth pointing out the Old Coach House remained very much an auxiliary part of the estate.
The map to the left illustrates how the Sellars family left the building. The end of the building, know known as the Lower Styx, was stabling with stalls for three horses and also contained a byre – cow shed. The Upper Styx, above was an Ostler’s room, for the groom who looked after the horses for the family.
The entrance hall had a stone archway through both sides of the building, accessed from the Stones this was the main coach entrance for the estate. The carriages themselves were kept in the eastern bay, our kitchen, which was accessed by its own set of double doors. It is likely above would have been a hayloft with access again from The Stones at first floor level.
1943 – Corporate Ownership
The Youth Hostel Association bought the site from the Sellers in January 1943 for £2600. This was to replace Derwent Hall Youth Hostel which had been flooded to create reservoirs. This was part way through World War II which dictated the buildings use. The whole site including the Old Coach House was used to house evacuees from Sheffield to keep them safe. Many changed occurred under the YHA’s ownership, the large rooms became smaller and the whole site housed 150 customers plus staff.
1984 – Upgraded Status
We became a listed building in 1978 and described as - “Early C19. Rubble limestone mostly rendered, with grit stone dressings. Stone slate roofs with stone coped gable with moulded kneelers, two storeys. South elevation has a carriage arch with stone voussoirs and quoins and plank doors. To the left is a doorway with stone jambs and lintel, then a blocked carriage arch with rusticated quoins and voussoirs, C20 window set in. First floor has two square windows with stone jambs, lintels and sills.”
Interestingly it was the Youth Hostel Association that brought Emma to the Village as the Deputy Manager, who moved onto the site in 1999. This was our first connection with the site, she spent a year maintaining it and entertaining guests. Then in 2003 we got married here.
We bought the property in 2012 after the YHA moved to their new site. To the left you can see a plan of layout we inherited. Since then we have been working to restore the building to its former glory. This is an ongoing project. We believe the site is too important to keep to ourselves so; we have opened up our home to guests. We hope you enjoy it as much as us and please be reassured your fees are going towards the ongoing development, improvement of the site; Developing the Old Coach House for generations to come.